We have renamed the Benefits Program from “My Flex” to “LAwell” to better demonstrate the ultimate purpose of all of our employee benefits: to support our employees’ and their families’ current and future health and wellbeing.

As a new hire, you will receive your LAwell Benefits Enrollment package 2-4 weeks after your first paycheck IF you are working a minimum number of qualifying hours (at least 40 hours per pay period for Full Time employees) and you are a contributing member to LACERS.

Once an offer is made, you have 60 days to make an election. 


Want to learn more? View our New Hire benefit flyer

Form 1095-C provides information about a health insurance offer made to an employee by their employer. All employees who receive LAwell health coverage will get a 1095-C tax form. 

For more information about this form, please see our informational mailer or review our Frequently Asked Questions.

For more information about the Affordable Care Act (ACA), please visit the Internal Revenue Service website at https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act.

For general assistance with your benefits, contact the LAwell Benefits Request Line at 1-800-778-2133, Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

For administrative issues you may contact your Employee Benefits Division Member Services Representative according to your last name: 

  Mayra Martinez (A-F):          (213) 978-1615 
  Tameekah Ford (G-I, K-M):  (213) 978-1600 
  Vincent Pacheco (N-V):        (213) 978-1640 
  Maria Lopez (J, W-Z):           (213) 978-1584 

Member Advocates from our Health and Dental providers provide personal, one-on-one assistance out of our office in City Hall, 200 N. Spring Street, Room 867 with the following drop-in schedule:



Anthem Blue Cross

Kaiser Permanente

Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm

Tue-Thurs, 8am-4pm

If you are eligible for LAwell benefits, you can also cover:

A Spouse

  • Your same sex or opposite sex spouse is eligible if you provide a valid marriage certificate

or a Domestic Partner (DP)

  • Your same sex or opposite sex DP is eligible if your City of Los Angeles Domestic Partnership Affidavit is approved or you provide a copy of your Declaration of Partnership filed with the California Secretary of State

and/or a Child:

  • Your dependent children up to age 26 – including your spouse/domestic partner’s children with copies of birth certificates, adoption, or other court papers
  • Your legal custody and/or foster children up to age 26 – if you provide the Employee Benefits Division with copies of court papers
  • Your grandchildren – if the parent is your dependent child up to age 19, or up to age 26 for a full-time student with valid proof of student status
  • Your disabled child of any age – who is dependent on you for support and certified as disabled each year by the insurance company for your health plan

Special Situation Child Rule: If your child is also a LAwell eligible City employee, he/she must enroll into his/her own LAwell coverage and cannot be covered as your dependent. 

Your dependent child's coverage will end on the last day of the month in which your child turns age 26. A COBRA notice will be provided to your child within 45 days of coverage termination.

Disabled Child coverage: Children with disabilities can remain your covered dependent after turning age 26 only if your LAwell health plan has certified the dependents disability.

Grandchild coverage: Coverage for grandchildren will end when the parent child reaches age 19 or age 26 if a full-time student.

The following are examples of individuals who are not considered eligible dependents:

  • your spouse following a divorce;
  • someone else’s child (such as your nieces, or nephews), unless you have been awarded legal custody or guardianship;
  • your parents, parents-in-law, or grandparents, regardless of their IRS dependent status.

NOTE: If your eligible dependent becomes ineligible (Example: Divorce, loss of custody, etc), you must drop coverage for the ineligible dependent within 30 days of the date he or she loses eligibility. 

Yes. As in previous years, both the online and phone enrollment options will be available. Look out for your Enrollment Kit to provide more information.

Review the materials in your Open Enrollment kit you receive in the mail. You can also review information on the online Enrollment Site by clicking “Enroll” on the Home page of this site. 

Be sure to review:

  • your annual personal enrollment fact sheet in your mailed kit, or “Your Benefits Summary” on the Enrollment Site. (Note: If your personal/address information is incorrect, contact your department’s personnel section to make updates)
  • your options and coverage costs in the CHOOSEwell Guide mailed to you (also available on the Forms & Documents section of this site September 28) or  “Choose Benefits” on the Enrollment Site
  • your dependent information and eligibility rules to verify current dependents, add new dependents, or remove ineligible dependents
  • the Eligibility, Making Changes & Supplemental Plan Information Guide to understand plan rules


  • your added dependents by December 10, 2018; provide supporting documentation for coverage of eligible dependents you add during Open Enrollment.


  • your 2019 enrollment elections by October 31! Go to the BenefitsCentral Portal or call 800-778-2133 to make elections.

Most of your previously elected 2018 benefit elections will automatically roll over to 2019 unless you make a change during Open Enrollment. 

However - Enrollment in Dependent Care Reimbursement and Flexible Spending Accounts does not automatically roll over. Any funds in these accounts for 2018 must be used in 2018. If you wish to participate in one of these accounts for 2019, you will need to enroll again during Open Enrollment.

Employees who enroll in specific levels of Life or Disability insurance may be required to complete a Medical History Statement with the Standard Insurance Company before their elected insurance level can take effect. 

Employees required to complete this form can do so online by using this link: www.standard.com/mybenefits/mhs_ho.html

Use GROUP #630363

Not sure if your election requires a Medical History Statement? Check your Confirmation Statement, or review your elections by logging into your account. 

A Life Event Change can be marriage, beginning or ending a domestic partnership, birth, adoption, divorce, death, addition or loss of an eligible dependent, or a loss or gain of spouse/domestic partner health coverage. You must report a Life Event Change within 30 days of its occurrence and submit documentation within 60 days in order for the change to take effect

Adding a Dependent Child

Who’s Eligible

  • Your dependent children up to age 26 – including your domestic partner’s children if your City of Los Angeles Domestic Partnership Affidavit is approved or you provide a copy of your Declaration of Partnership filed with the California Secretary of State
  • Your grandchildren up to age 26 – if you have legal custody and provide the Employee Benefits Division with copies of court papers
  • Your grandchildren if the parent is your dependent child up to age 19 – or up to age 26 for a full-time student with valid proof of student status
  • Your disabled child age 26 or older who is dependent on you for support if disabled before age 18 and certified as disabled each year by the insurance company for your health plan

What Benefits You Can Change

  • Enroll your new dependent in your health and dental coverage
  • Enroll in or increase Healthcare Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Reimbursement Account contributions
  • Enroll in or change your amount of supplemental and dependent life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) and supplemental disability insurance

When You Can Enroll and Make Benefit Changes

  • Within 30 calendar days of your new dependent’s birth, placement for adoption, or date of legal guardianship or custody arrangement. If you don’t enroll within 30 calendar days, you will have to wait until the next annual enrollment, October 1–31, to change your benefit choices and your new dependent will not have LAwell coverage until the next January unless you have another qualifying life event change

How To Enroll and Make Benefit Changes


Retired employees and employees who transfer to DWP: Last day of the month
Terminated/Resigned employees: effective date of termination
Employees on leave: effective date of leave, unless on direct bill
Dependent children: the last day of the month in which they turn age 26.

Your benefits may continue while you are on certain leave-from-work statuses, but still employed. However, you will be required to pay for all, or a portion, of the premiums for these benefits. Not all benefits may be eligible to continue. Read pages 50-53 of the 2019 CHOOSEwell guide for more information. 

A primary care physician (PCP) is your main doctor. Always try to go to your PCP first for health concerns or questions.


Your PCP coordinates any other care you need, such as a visit to a specialist or a hospital stay. You may need to contact your PCP to get an OK (prior authorization) before you get certain services.


Most PCPs are family or general practitioners, internists or pediatricians. These types of doctors have gone to school to learn about all areas of health. That way, they can get a strong, overall picture of your health.

You may need to contact your Primary Care Physician (PCP) to get an OK (preapproval) before you get certain services. Your PCP will work with you to decide if you need to see a specialist. If so, your PCP will refer you to a specialist in your medical group.



You can go to http://www.anthem.com/ca/cityofla and use our online Find a Doctor tool to find available physicians. If you already know the PCP you want, you can call our Member Services team at the number on your member ID card. Let us know who you want to choose as your new PCP and we’ll take it from there.


Kaiser Permanente members are not required to select a PCP before coverage starts and will not be automatically assigned a PCP. Kaiser members can receive urgent care or emergency care services without choosing a PCP. Kaiser members may elect to choose a PCP before MEDICAL COVERAGE & CASH-IN-LIEU or while making a regular doctor’s appointment.

If it is an emergency, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest hospital - you don’t need an OK from us or your PCP. But be careful not to use the emergency room unless it really is an emergency.



You can also log into www.anthem.com/ca/cityofla and use the Find a Doctor tool to look for an urgent care center. You can usually walk in without an appointment needed. And they can handle lots of urgent health issues like a flu or cold, allergies, prescribing medication, even small fractures and X-rays.

You can also use LiveHealth Online to access non-emergency after hours care. LiveHealth Online gives you 24/7 video visit access to board-certified physicians using a mobile device or a computer with a webcam. No appointment is necessary, and you pay your regular copayment. To learn more, go to livehealthonline.com or download the LiveHealth Online mobile app from the App Store® or Google PlayTM.



Visit a Kaiser Urgent Care facility, email your doctor, or talk to member services representative. Go to my.kp.org/ca/cityofla

Doctors, hospitals, facilities (such as labs) and other professionals who provide health care services may have a contract with Anthem. If they do, they're in the Anthem network - also called in-network providers. That means they accept Anthem payment rates when Anthem members go to them for care. If they don't have a contract with Anthem, they're outside of the Anthem network - or out of network providers.

When you see network providers, you only have to pay the copays, deductibles and coinsurance required by your plan. If you get treatment from a provider outside the network, you could have to pay much more. Check your benefit summary or Evidence of Coverage for details regarding how out-of-network services are covered.


Additionally, providers in the Anthem network are responsible for getting any needed precertification (approval) for your care. They also file your claim for you and will seek payment from Anthem for covered services.


Please log into www.anthem.com/ca/cityofla and use the Find a Doctor tool to determine if a particular provider is in the network,  contact Member Services at the number on your ID card, or talk with the Anthem Member Advocate at City Hall


Before traveling, contact Anthem Blue Cross Customer Service at the number listed on your member ID card for a list of participating hospitals. Always go to the closest emergency facility; request an itemized bill (in English) before leaving to file a claim for reimbursement. The BlueCross Blue Shield Global Core Service Center is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week toll free at 800-815-BLUE or by calling collect at 804-673-1177. An assistant coordinator, along with a medical professional, will arrange doctor or hospitalization needs.


Go to the nearest emergency facility and call 800-225-8883 if you receive treatment. Request an itemized bill (in English) and save your receipt to file a claim for reimbursement.


If you are covered through an HMO plan and your child is going to school outside of our service area, there may be special circumstances under which your child may be eligible for a guest membership in a medical group in the city your dependent lives in while away from home. Before you leave home, call the Member Services number on your ID card for assistance. Even without a guest membership, you can get medically necessary care (urgent care, emergency services, or follow-up care) when you are away from home.

If you are covered through the PPO plan, medically necessary care is covered for your child who is outside of our California service area through our national BlueCard network. Please visit www.anthem.com/ca/cityofla or call the Member Services number on your ID card to find a participating provider in the area your child is in.  



Go to any Kaiser facility for covered care. To find a Kaiser facility, visit kp.org or call 800-464-4000. If no Kaiser facility is available, only emergency care is covered.

The DCUSA HMO plan covers braces for adults and children, and the PPO plan covers braces for children to age 26 only. Coverage is as follows:


Children under 19 - Member copayment is $1,000 plus start up fees of $300 Children 19-26 - Your copay is $1,350 plus start up fees of $300 Adults - Your copay is $1,350 plus start up fees of $300

Delta PPO plan -

Delta pays 50% of the cost up to $1500 per lifetime per child

The maximum is the amount of money that Delta Dental will pay toward services in a calendar year per person. Once Delta has paid $1500 in a calendar year, any other costs would become your responsibility. Please note that preventive services do not apply toward this maximum.

There are many situations. But in general:

  • To reinstate coverage after failure to make a required premium payment
  • To purchase Life insurance over $750,000, or to increase your current amount
  • To purchase Dependent Spouse Life insurance of any amount
  • To purchase supplemental Disability insurance

Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance offers additional financial protection for an employee, or a family member, if they die in an accident, are dismembered, or lose their vision, hearing, or ability to speak.